Learning TOgether about John
Watch this video to get a deeper understanding of the stories of Nicodemus and the Woman at the Well and engage in conversation with your youth around these stories (see some conversations starters below). John, the author, hopes that through these stories you and your youth, "you might believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name" (John 20: 31).
1. Think of a time that you naturally gather together as a family:
- In the Car
- On a walk
2. Pick one of these times in the next week or so to read or listen to the audio Bible of John Chapter 1 and 2. Click here for a link to the Bible Gateway Audio Bible that you can use on your smartphone or computer
3. Then pick one, two or more of the following questions/activities below to begin a discussion around these scripture passages. This doesn't need to take a lot of time - it is important that on a regular basis you are opening the scriptures together as a family.
- Have your child show you what they have colored/drawn/written during Bible Journaling time on Wednesday night from the book of John. Have a conversation about why they did what they did.
- Memorize together John 20:31 (the reason John wrote this gospel). Practice saying it daily together in the car on the way to school or post it on the mirror in the bathroom. This verse will continue to be very important in the rest of the study of John.
- John 3: Nicodemus came to Jesus in the dark and doesn't understand that Jesus is the light of the world. Look together at all of the references to "light" in John 1-3. What does it mean to "love the dark instead of the light" in John 3:19?
- John 4: The woman at the well is also "coming to the light" and recognizing Jesus as the Messiah. What does she do? She leaves her jars and runs to town to tell others about him. The youth took candy bars with John 3:16 on them to the Care Center this month. Ask them about their experience sharing God's love in Jesus with others. Tell a story about a time where you shared about Jesus with someone.
We will be posting more videos as the youth study the chapters.
In January we will post videos on John 6, 7 and 8.