Sometimes staying positive is difficult. Something bad happens and it can change how we see the whole world. We get angry and bitter. We go through stretches of time when it's hard to see the bright side of anything. We can say hurtful words we don't mean. We look to God for answers, for direction, for healing, for hope...
As believers, we know that prayer is our lifeline to God. When life seems too difficult to handle, remember that everything is in God's hands and that your attitude is what you choose to make it.
During the week of [April 18-24 +sunny side up], we'll look at ways to keep our chin up and to look at the bright side, even when it's hard to do.
- Look on the sunny side. Create reminders to be positive and to inspire other people for good. Print or draw pictures: funny frog sunny-side-up eggs, a happy face, a sun, a favorite verse! Stick the notes on your locker or mirror as daily reminders. Read Psalm 16:11.
- Choose to be content. Learn how to wait well. Philippians 4:11b (NIV) says "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."
- Think positive. Is the glass half-full, half-empty, or does it really matter? How we deal with reality is what matters. Scripture tells us that we are going to have trouble in this world, and yet we can take heart because the Lord has overcome the world (John 16:33).
- Know that what you are feeling is normal. We can choose to believe that God is good despite our lives being hard and we can take comfort in knowing that every Christian struggles with bad days.
- Dare to do something different. In a world where most of us have a glowing screen within arm's length, intentionally create time and space to be silent before the Lord, giving Him room to move in your heart and to speak to you.
- Tell God what you think. He invites us to be honest about the things going on in our hearts. Psalm 139:23-24 says, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the say everlasting."
- Keep moving. Let the words of Scripture give you the encouragement to carry on, whether you feel like it or not. "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19
- Do you find it difficult to stay positive? Why or why not?
- What/who can change your attitude from good to bad?
- Do you have a friend/parent you can vent with? Expressing negativity once in a while and getting it out of our system is a good thing. Having someone acknowledge that it's ok to vent can put you back on the positive path.
- How have you brightened someone else's day and what kind of impact did it make?
Prayer: Lord, help us to know that every day is a good day because of what we learn and experience and because of what we give to others. Whatever happens, we know that you are with us, which is reason enough to be happy. Amen.