Each new days brings new questions, new hope, and a longing to be better than we were yesterday. Sometimes a new day can seem overwhelming before we even get out of bed. Being involved isn't a bad thing; it can keep us challenged and excited about each new day. But stretching ourselves too thin and not programming down time, can leave us out of touch with life and even our own emotions. We begin to feel overwhelmed and unable to connect with others around us. Talking with God before our day starts is the best way to feel confident as we make our way through the day.
To be in God's presence begins with intention - a deep, spiritual decision to be connected to God. This decision allows God to envelope us in love and peace. Even as we become involved in other matters during the day, we can remain in God's presence if we maintain our attentiveness and allow God to be the center of our lives. What might we gain by letting go of our distractions? Spending time with God is not an option; it's a privilege and the more time we spend with God, the more we will notice the affect it has on our day and on our lives. Psalm 46:10 says "Be still, and know that I am God!"
Practical tips to learn to be still:
1. Make morning prayer time a habit. Even a few minutes each day is better than one huge chunk of time. Commit to having a conversation with God every morning.
2. Plan a time every day to refocus. Read, watch a video, listen to a podcast, discover scripture or read daily devotions. Tune out the craziness of the world and focus on God.
3. Take a break from social media. Whether it's one afternoon or a week or more, take as much time away as you need to connect more deeply with those around you.
4. Create an intentional time to meet with friends without an agenda. Just enjoy each other's presence and focus on building relationships.
5. Learn how and when to say no. It's a hard one, but pick and choose what you're passionate about so that you can focus your attention on those high priority activities.