Jesus would draw all people to himself. Note the all. He didn't add "except the nerd from school, except people others looked down upon, except people who don't measure up." Jesus made no exceptions. So what can your teen do when they don't feel included by members of a group in which they want to belong?
- Respond to them good naturedly.
- Pray for them and for other people who seem to be excluded.
- Reach out to and befriend someone else who is excluded.
- Welcome others to be part of a new group, but never exclude anyone, even those who have excluded you.
- Enjoy the friendship of God.
REFLECT: Most teens feel like outsiders at some point, but I believe God puts us where we need to be and gives us people we need to be with. Don't be afraid to discover who you are. Don't be afraid to change and grow over time.
ACT ON IT: Look around for new kids at school who might be having trouble fitting in. Extend a warm smile, and ask some questions about their hobbies and families. Create an opportunity for a friendship to begin.